The Bureau of Labor Statistics released information in April of 2023 that wages for truck drivers increased in 2022. On average, truck drivers earned $53,090 in 2022. Previously, truck drivers earned an average of $50,340 in 2021 and $48,710 in 2020. As wages rise for drivers, there has never been a better time to find truck driver training!
We’ve also gathered all the information about the states with the highest wages and employment rates for truck drivers for you here.
Top States for Truck Drivers
Here are the states with the most truck drivers:
- Texas – 210,940
- California – 186,140
- Florida – 99,490
- Ohio – 91,240
States with higher concentrations of logistics and trucking companies will, of course, have more truckers living in them, and many of these states have high populations.
Here are the states with the highest wages for truck drivers:
- Nebraska – $63,560
- Washington – $60,210
- Alaska – $59,510
- New Jersey – $59,380
Many of the states on this list have a high demand for truckers, so they are willing to raise wages to attract them. Some of these states also have a slightly higher cost of living, meaning drivers, and most people who live in the state, also earn more.
Find a CDL school in your state.
Top Industries for Truck Drivers
- Here are the industries with the most truck drivers:
- Truck Transportation – 897,370
- Merchant Wholesalers, Nondurable Goods – 99,680
- Warehousing and Storage – 84,650
- Nonmetallic Mineral Product Manufacturing – 77,550
- Here are the industries with the highest wages for truck drivers:
- Electric Power Generation, Transmission and Distribution – $75,170
- Telecommunications – $71,770
- Support Activities for Water Transportation – $68,440
- Rail Transportation – $66,490
The Employment Outlook for Truck Drivers Over the Next 10 Years
The outlook for truck drivers looks promising over the next 10 years. Through 2031, demand for truck drivers should increase at a rate of 4 percent, which is among average for all occupations. Because of business and households’ rising demand for goods, the demand for truck drivers is expected to grow. With rising wages and steady demand, it’s a great time to find truck driver training in your area! Find a school near you now.